As a Big Data Software Engineer at Sila, you will leverage your experience with Hadoop and software engineering on key technology implementations for our Federal clients. You will develop and implement systems that solve the main challenges of big data: velocity, volume, and variety. Through your understanding of emerging and existing models of big data and analytics, you will translate the mission problems of many diverse departments and agencies into creative technical solutions – making an immediate impact on how our clients process and understand data for today and the future.
What Sila Offers
A Sila career takes you beyond coding so that you understand the business problem that you are solving. Also, we want all our employees to be better because of their Sila experience. Beyond the client work – where you will conquer diverse and interesting problems and execute solutions that drive lasting change and transform the ways our clients operate; you will impact Sila’s growth. As a key player of our big data practice you will dive into some of the latest technologies, honing your skills, and growing professionally.
What to expect
- Build sustainable big data platforms while identifying gaps and opportunities to improve on existing solutions and processes
- Create prototypes and proof of concept solutions as part of R & D efforts across our Federal clients
- Play a critical role in designing, developing, and implementing Hadoop-based, big data solutions with advanced software patterns and standards
- Collaboratively participate in the entire project lifecycle from design to delivery, taking advantage of flexibility in technology and approach
- Proactively research and evaluate emerging and evolving technologies
- Represent Sila in a client facing capacity, presenting actionable recommendations to solve challenges across diverse problem sets
Skills you will need
- Prior experience developing on parallel or multi-threaded systems
- 3+ years of hands-on, large scale, software development and integration experience using Java/JEE technologies
- Prior experience using Hadoop ecosystem technologies like: Hadoop, HDFS, Spark, Pig, Hive, Impala, Flume, Sqoop, Zookeeper, Oozie, Hue, Kafka, Scala, Elastisearch, and python
- Prior experience with the software stacks of Hadoop vendors like Cloudera and Hortonworks
- Exposure to high availability configurations, Hadoop cluster connectivity and tuning, and Hadoop security configurations with a strong understanding of related algorithms and data science
- Exposure with search systems (ElasticSearch, Lucene, Solr)
- Interpersonal skills developed through previous client-facing implementation projects
- Good understanding of relational databases and solid SQL skills
- Good understanding of Operating Systems (Unix/Linux), Networks and Systems Administration
- Intellectually curious, reliable, and flexible team player
- US Citizen with TS SCI with CI Polygraph or higher.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
- Must be innovative and a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects/initiatives on deadline
- Travel may be required
Candidates must be currently authorized to work in the United States without the need for employment-based visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Sila is a technology and management consulting firm that delivers solutions to the world’s leading corporations and Federal government agencies. Our solutions expertise lies in the areas of cybersecurity, risk management, data analytics, software engineering and integration, strategy and transformation, and digital creative services. We are a values-driven company with a culture that fosters collaboration, creativity, and social responsibility. Sila employees are part of a community of vibrant, high-performing contributors who push each other to achieve the highest standard of excellence. Our team members have extensive opportunities to discover their passions and shape their own career paths, and we continually invest in employees’ growth through innovative training, mentorship, and professional development programs. Staff are quickly immersed in clients’ business challenges, work closely with emerging technologies to develop impactful solutions to these challenges, and are exposed to a variety of industries and market offerings.
We are looking for full-time employees to become an integral part of our growing team. Sila is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and has offices in Chicago, IL; Seattle, WA; and Shelton, CT. Sila offers a range of great benefits including a comprehensive healthcare package, 401K with matching, paid time off, and paid company holidays, as well as other unique benefits that support our staff’s active work/life balance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.