Java Software Engineer
Join Sila as a mid-level Java Software Engineer in our Shelton, CT location. For a developer whose career satisfaction comes from actively participating in all phases of the software development lifecycle, this opportunity is ideal. You will employ a variety of technologies as you develop new features for multiple web applications. And, you will enjoy managing your own deliverables while preserving quality standards and adhering, always, to best practices.
The successful candidate must possess 2-5 years of hands-on Java / J2EE and web application development experience, accompanied by a good understanding of enterprise architecture and web technologies. Any proficiency with Oracle or SQL Server databases is a plus! Impressive additional experience will include a focus on software security, experience with build tools like Maven, and exposure to continuous integration technologies and automated testing.
This opportunity is great for experienced developers who want to contribute to projects that leverage Java, REST/SOAP, AngularJS, Bootstrap, JPA/Hibernate, HTML5, SQL, and PL/SQL.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or a related technical field
- 2-5 years of hands-on experience with Java/J2EE and object-oriented programming
- Proficiency in hands-on application development
- Exposure to all development tiers: databases, front-end, and middle-tier development
- Technology experience that includes, specifically: Java, J2EE, HTML5, AngularJS, Bootstrap, CSS, JDBC, SQL, PL/SQL, XML, XSLT, JAXB, Spring, JPA/Hibernate
- Knowledge of SVN and/or Git and corresponding repository management services (e.g. GitLab, GitHub, or BitBucket, etc.)
- Experience with application server configuration and deployment on Apache Tomcat, JBoss, WebSphere, and/or WebLogic
- Experience unit testing using frameworks like JUnit
- Experience in supporting and debugging applications in a production environment
- Strong object-oriented design skills
- Knowledge of common software design patterns and best practices
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, as well as verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interface with clients and functional analysts to understand systems design and requirements
- Experience with Oracle and SQL Server databases
- Experience with build tools like Maven, Gradle and Ant
- Skills in software security including authentication, authorization, and encryption mechanisms
- Experience with JIRA and Jenkins
- Experience with mocking frameworks like Mockito or JMockit
- Experience with automated testing tools like Cucumber or Selenium
Candidates must be currently authorized to work in the United States without the need for employment-based visa sponsorship now or in the future.
Sila is a technology and management consulting firm that delivers solutions to the world’s leading corporations and Federal government agencies. Our solutions expertise lies in the areas of cybersecurity, risk management, data analytics, software engineering and integration, strategy and transformation, and digital creative services. We are a values-driven company with a culture that fosters collaboration, creativity, and social responsibility. Sila employees are part of a community of vibrant, high-performing contributors who push each other to achieve the highest standard of excellence. Our team members have extensive opportunities to discover their passions and shape their own career paths, and we continually invest in employees’ growth through innovative training, mentorship, and professional development programs. Staff are quickly immersed in clients’ business challenges, work closely with emerging technologies to develop impactful solutions to these challenges, and are exposed to a variety of industries and market offerings.
We are looking for full-time employees to become an integral part of our growing team. Sila is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and has offices in Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; Seattle, WA; and Shelton, CT. Sila offers a range of great benefits including a comprehensive healthcare package, 401K with matching, paid time off, and paid company holidays, as well as other unique benefits that support our staff’s active work/life balance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.